Updated: Mar 12, 2021
7 Tips To Be A Highly Successful Commercial Real Estate Investor in 2021
There has without a doubt been uncertainty of the future of small businesses and the economy since the pandemic started. However, 2021 has brought a renewed hope for the future and a true advantage to everyone, including investors of commercial real estate, to focus on a sound strategy to become successful.. Success is little more than the long-term outcome of following a set of simple and often boring set habits. Highly successful commercial real estate investors share a set of habits. Understanding and adopting these habits will help to ensure your success.
Begin your investing career on the right foot! Below are seven tips that will help you become a highly successful commercial real estate investor:
1. Successful investors have a group of trusted advisors. The members of the team will vary with the type of commercial real estate involved. An accountant, attorney, banker, title company, and mentor are standard. Contractors, business partners, and property managers might also be required.
2. Focus. Find a niche and stick with it until branching out makes sense. If office buildings interest you, then stick with office buildings. Apartment buildings are a viable option, too. But become an expert and maintain your focus in this area.
· It’s a mistake to spread yourself and your attention too thin. Choose a niche and learn everything you can.
3. Stick with the numbers. Finding good deals isn’t easy. It can take months to find a good deal. Many beginning investors fudge their numbers out of frustration so they can finally do a deal. Get better at looking for deals instead of lowering your standards. Lowering your standards increases risk and the likelihood that you’ll lose money.
4. Never stop farming. Since deals take time to find, it’s important to always be looking. Often it can feel like the "real job" of any real estate investor is to find deals. The rest of the team can handle the rest of the work. Spend some time each day making phone calls, reviewing the real estate listings, and staying on top of the market.
· Ideally, you should always have a deal in the pipeline and a few excellent prospects ready to go. It takes time to reach and maintain this level of inertia.
5. Have a long-term plan. What is your plan for the next 5, 10, 25 years? Are you looking to get a few suitable buildings or do you want to give Donald Trump a run for his money? Your decisions are easier to make if you know your end goals. Jot yours down.
· What short-term goals can be set to make those long-term goals a reality? Start with the end in mind and work forward to the present.
6. Create a strong and vast network. Many of the best deals are not listed or advertised. Know who the players are in your market. Ensure they know who you are, too. Become prominent in your community and good things will happen.
· When you find a deal that doesn’t suit you, pass the information along to someone else. Maybe the favor will be returned. Real estate is a people business. You can’t be successful on your own.
7. Understand that real estate is a business, not an investment. An investment is something that you can purchase and forget about for a while. A business requires regular attention. A commercial real estate investor that attempts to treat his buildings as an investment rather than a business will struggle.
Commercial real estate is a viable way to create wealth. To be truly successful it will require time, energy, and commitment. Creating a commercial real estate business is easier with these seven tips in place. These tips help prevent disaster, keep the business running, and maximize profit. Consider what other things would be helpful to adopt. An experienced broker can help you figure out the best options for your investment contact, one of or professionals today to help get you started by clicking here.